A federal terrorism sting has led to the arrest of a Bangladeshi national for a bomb threat targeting the National Reserve in Lower Manhattan.
Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis , 21, was arrested this morning in downtown Manhattan after he allegedly attempted to detonate what he believed to be a 1,000-pound bomb at the New York Federal Reserve Bank on Liberty Street in lower Manhattan’s financial district.
The suspect was arraigned in federal court in Downtown Brooklyn and remanded without bail.
Agents set up a sting and he was caught and taken into custody according to officials.
Nafis attempted to detonate a van that he thought was laced with the explosives, from a hotel across the street from the World Trade Center site. Nafis also claimed to have overseas connections to Al-Qaeda and had recorded a martyrdom video.
“This individual came here for the purpose of doing a terrorist act,” Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told reporters. “He was motivated by Al Qaeda, so we see this threat as being with us for a long time.”
No word on whether or not the administration will argue Kelly’s claims of a motivation by saying the suspect was angry about an anti-Islam video.
Fortunately, when the President does get around to calling this a terrorist plot two weeks from now, Candy Crowley will be there to hold his hand.
In related news, the President is dropping the phrase ‘Al Qaeda is on the run’ from his campaign speeches.
Via Fox News:
President Obama may be recalibrating his campaign rhetoric on Al Qaeda, in the aftermath of the Libya terror attack.
Before that attack and as recently as a week ago, Obama had taken to saying Al Qaeda is on the road to defeat. During a Miami stop on Oct. 11, he said: “And today, Al Qaeda is on the run and Osama bin Laden is dead.”
But at the debate Tuesday and on the campaign trail Wednesday, the Al Qaeda reference appeared to have been walked back.
Last week, we reported on the outrageous demand being made by September 11th mastermind, Khalid Sheikh Mohammad, and four other defendants involved in the terror plot, requesting that their August hearing in Guantanamo be postponed because it falls toward the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
The request led Pamela Geller to write:
Let me get this straight. We are supposed to postpone the 911 tribunals out of respect and deference to the very ideology that inspired the mass murderous Islamic attacks of 9/11. Someone pinch me. This is a nightmare.
Ramadan is exactly when these jihadist savages should be put on trial and sentenced to death.
I also added:
I’ll go one step further. Their deaths should be televised live on Pay-Per-View, with the proceeds going to the victims families … it should be televised on the first day of Ramadan, and rerun every day until the end of Ramadan.
As infuriating as it was to hear these terror masterminds play the military court system by making such a demand, here is an even more infuriating update – the judge has granted their request.
A U.S. military judge agreed Monday to postpone the next court hearings at the Guantanamo Bay prison for five men charged in the Sept. 11 attacks to avoid a conflict with the Muslim holy period of Ramadan.
The judge issued a short order postponing the next pretrial hearings at the U.S. base in Cuba until Aug. 22-26 at the request of all five defendants, said James Connell, a lawyer for one of the accused.
The hearings had been scheduled to run from Aug. 8-12, which fall during the last 10 days of Ramadan, a period in which devout Muslims fast during the day and pray during the night. That would make it difficult for the accused to participate in their defense, said Connell, a lawyer for Ali Abd al-Aziz Ali.
“It’s very difficult to pay attention to sometimes intricate legal proceedings when you haven’t had any sleep and you haven’t had any food,” Connell said.
The judge, Army Col. James Pohl, denied a defense request not to hold any future hearings in the case on Fridays, a day on which many Muslims do not work and his order does not mention what will happen if future hearings fall during the month of Ramadan. The judge did not explain his decisions in the brief ruling.
Eleven years after these men plotted to kill thousands of innocent Americans, they have not been convicted of their crime and in fact, continue to manipulate the system.
The terrorists have truly won.
Update: One World Trade Center stands above the rest!
Construction efforts down at the World Trade Center site are scheduled to reach a major milestone sometime this afternoon – roughly one year after the death of September 11th mastermind, Osama bin laden.
From the New York Times:
If the winds are forgiving enough over Lower Manhattan — up where workers can see the whole outline of the island’s tip — a steel column will be hoisted into place Monday afternoon atop the exoskeleton of 1 World Trade Center and New York will have a new tallest building.
More important, downtown will have reclaimed its pole star.Poking into the sky, the first column of the 100th floor of 1 World Trade Center will bring the tower to a height of 1,271 feet, making it 21 feet higher than the Empire State Building.
A tower has again become an inescapable presence at the southern end of Manhattan.
From a construction point of view, the completion of the framework, known as the topping out, will be a more significant milestone. That is to occur in a couple of months, when 1 World Trade Center reaches 1,368 feet at its rooftop parapet, identical in height to the first 1 World Trade Center, which was destroyed, with the rest of the complex, in the terrorist attack of Sept. 11, 2001. The ultimate topping out will be the completion next year of an antenna that will bring the structure’s overall height to 1,776 feet.
This milestone has taken far too long, but is greatly anticipated nonetheless.
Just another case of the old media trying to remain PC in dealing with radical Islam, at the risk of avoiding facts…
From the Daily Caller:
More than a decade after the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the Associated Press doesn’t seem prepared to definitely pin the blame on al-Qaida, at least in print.
In an article published late Monday night about a mock movie poster warning that al-Qaida wants to return to New York City, the AP wouldn’t definitively state al-Qaida was responsible for the 9/11 attacks. “Al-Qaida has been blamed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, which destroyed the World Trade Center and killed thousands of people,” the article reads.
Asked to respond to the “has been blamed” formulation, AP director of Media Relations Paul Colford told The Daily Caller in an email: “We don’t doubt that AQ was behind 9/11.”
Yet a search on Lexis-Nexis found numerous similar word choices in AP stories suggesting that it is not a fact that al-Qaida was responsible for the 9/11 terror attacks…
… By time of publication, the Associated Press did not return TheDC’s request for additional comment explaining why, if it has no doubt al-Qaida was behind 9/11, it reported only that the terror group “has been blamed” for the attacks in print — instead of declaring that it was “responsible” for 9/11.